Monday, November 16, 2009

Meteor Showers & The Little Dipper




Above is a photo I took during the meteor shower we had early this morning... Technically it's still going on, but I don't feel like watching it anymore. It's put me in a strange mood.

I think it's because I could clearly see the Little Dipper.

That sounds strange, I know. But here is the story about that.

When I was little, my mom noticed that the freckles on my make make the Big Dipper. We all thought it was so funny... But then she noticed on my little brother's back, Kevin, that his freckles made the Little Dipper. It was so strange, yet so amazing!

Now whenever I see the Little Dipper I think of my brother, naturally. He's going to be 17 in February (and it makes me feel so old!), a junior in high school, he's looking into college, he's very involved with our high school drama club (like I was... well, I still am!), and he's all around an awesome kid. I'm so lucky to have him as a little brother... We've always gotten along really well, except for the understandable sibling fights. He's pretty much my best friend.

And tonight I saw the Little Dipper so clearly. All the stars are beautiful right now, but the Little Dipper seemed to shine brighter than the rest. Then it struck me- I've NEVER been able to find the Little or Big Dipper on my own. And now I finally found one of them!

Why did this put me in such a strange mood? I'm not sure. Maybe it's because I wish my brother was outside watching the stars with me instead of sleep. Maybe it's because I didn't have a tripod so I couldn't take a good photos of the Little Dipper (the photo I took my camera was laying across the hot tub cover). Maybe I'm just over tired and thinking too much- girls tend to do that, a lot, trust me I'm a pro.

But nevertheless... I love my brother. He's the best. He's my Little Dipper. And whenever I see that constellation, I will always think of him.

0 comments: